MapRun - a new version of the App is now available
MapRun version 7
MapRun version 7 is published to the Google PlayStore and Apple AppStore under the name "MapRun". This brings us full circle, with MapRun being the name of the original MapRun App, then MapRunF followed by MapRun6. That is, the original MapRun in the App Stores has been replaced (over-written) by this new version.
MapRun version 7 has all of the features of MapRun6 and will ultimately replace MapRun6 as the recommended App, following a period of overlap with MapRun6.
- Codes in Event Names: There is no longer any need to include codes in the name of the event (eg PXAS ScoreQ40...). These are now optional. Organisers set the settings for each event by selecting options in the "MapRun Settings" panel. Both MapRun6 and MapRun version 7+ can be used in events created in this way.
- To assist organisers be sure they have the desired settings for their event, the MapRun Console now allows the copying of settings from a previous event.
- Confirmed Finish: This is designed to avoid “accidental” early punches of the Finish control (F1). If a participant accidentally runs past the Finish, they will get a special sound (4 chimes) and have the option to cancel their finish: If they have their phone in hand, they can tap "Cancel", OR, they can just keep running for a least the next minute and the punch will be automatically cancelled. See more details here.
- No Map: Events can now be published without a Map file (ie .KMZ). The background map will be simply the Open Street Map or Satellite imagery as background. This has always been an option for CheckSites and QuickStart, but is now also available for published events.
- New Select Event: "Select Event" now integrates "Events near me" and offers a range of filters for events. The selections are remembered so users can find their regular events. Events are also shown on a map view. There is an Info button on the screen to provide instructions.
- New Results System: The existing results system, based on RouteGadget, is being replaced with an updated system that handles having no Map file and works better on small screen mobile devices. This is available at https://results.maprun.net. This is also integrated into MapRun version 7 for "All Results".
- Club Logo and Colour: As a premium service, Clubs can now have MapRun display their club logo and colour when one of their events is selected.
- Introductory Information: As an aid to new users, when MapRun version 7 is first opened, a page of introductory information is displayed. This can also be accessed by the Info button on the home page.
- Special Instructions/Conditions: Organisers can now provide information that is displayed when the user taps "Go to start". The user needs to tap an accept button to open the event.
- Open Course Events show a suggested Route: It is now possible to upload a track file (.gpx) that is displayed to the user as a suggested route. The event would typically be a trail-run event or similar. In this case the course lines (straight lines between controls) are replaced with the suggested route.
- Map Centred/North Up/Direction up: There are now options to keep the map centred on the current location and optionally keep it rotated with North up, or the direction of travel up. This may be useful for trail running events or for Orienteering training.
- Pause Timing for a Leg: An organiser can nominate a list of legs for which the timer will be paused. For example for a road-crossing with a control on each side. See more details here.
The MapRun version 7 features are also supported (where applicable) in MapRunG 1.6.0+ (for Garmin Watches).
Minor Features and Bug Fixes:
- The "Floating Menu Button" on the home screen has been replaced by a traditional menu (top right)
- The exported track file now does NOT cut off the pre-Start part of the track
- The red and blue tracks shown in MapRun6 upon completion of a run have replaced by a single track (There is still an Option to allow setting the tracks from the duplicate tracking system if desired).
- There is an option for the display of Line Courses to label controls with only the sequence number of that control on the course and not <sequence #> (<control id>), so "3 (45)" becomes just "3".
- MapRun events can now be labelled with a "Sport Type" to help with searching
The full release notes and discussion forum are at: http://maprunners.weebly.com/releases.html