(3/4) CANCELLEDTowneley ParkSat 10 March, 2018
Local level event
Explanation of Event levels
- Training events are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport.
- Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Most clubs run some 'mini series' throughout the year as local mid week events.
- Regional events attract participants from around the local Region.
- National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away,
- Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships or the annual JK competition.
Important note: This is an afternoon event with first starts at 13:00. The late start enables anyone who participates in other Saturday morning sports to engage in both activities.
Event 3 of 4 of our Spring Series.
The competition area is a combination of intricate paths, rhododendron thickets, open areas and maturing plantations. Undergrowth is at a minimum. Fast but tricky.
There are two cafes in the park: Smaller (tea/coffee/snacks) at Registration and the Hall and larger cafe (beverages/meals/etc) are open from 12 noon till 5:00PM, 500m from Registration. Toilets at both locations.
Is a web browser app for sharing and comparing orienteering routes. You can draw your own route or upload a GPS track from your watch. It also allows you to watch an animated replay with a simulated mass start.
Pre Event Info
Near: Burnley Lat,Lng: 53.77832,-2.21745 OS Grid Ref: SD857314 Postcode: BB11 3RQ
Directions / Parking
Enter Towneley Park via the main gate off Todmorden Road. (Set your Satnav to BB11 3ER for the park entrance, or BB11 3RQ for Towneley Hall.) Proceed along the park road and then after 1km bear left at the road fork (signed from here). Follow the road around to the main Riverside car park. Fee £1.00 all day in the meter.
Registration will be in the car park.
Registration and Start times
Registration: From 12:30 to 13:30
Starts: From 13:00 to 14:00.
Courses Close: At 4:00PM.
|Blue||5.5 to 7.5 km||TBA||TD5 = Very hard|
|Green||3.5 to 5.0 km||TBA||TD5 = Very hard|
|Light Green||3.0 to 4.0 km||TBA||TD4 = Hard|
|Orange||2.5 tp 3.5 km||TBA||TD3 = Moderate|
|Yellow||2.0 to 2.9 km||TBA||TD2 = Easy|
|White||1.0 to 1.9 km||TBA||TD1 = Very easy|
There are three golf courses within the park - they are all marked as out of bounds. Do not run on the greens or fairways. Use only the perimeter.
Competitors must take care crossing the park roads. Traffic is relatively slow but frequent. Caution must be exercised.
Runners must heed the road marshal's instructions.
Entry on the Day (EOD) only.
Entry fees: Adults (M/W21+) £5.00, Juniors (M/W20-) £2.00,
Dibber hire £1.00, but £40.00 if lost!
No dogs on courses.
Dogs may be walked under control after the event. Please observe usual doggy etiquette.
Toilet and Tea/Coffee Kiosk at parking/registration. Also sit-down cafe at Towneley Hall, 500m walk.
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Andy Ellis PFO, Controller: Judith Wood PFO, Organiser: George Crawford-Smith PFO