(4/4) Orienteering for Beginners(4/4) Towneley Park, BurnleyTue 21 May, 2019
Training level event
Explanation of Event levels
- Training events are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport.
- Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Most clubs run some 'mini series' throughout the year as local mid week events.
- Regional events attract participants from around the local Region.
- National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away,
- Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships or the annual JK competition.
Is a web browser app for sharing and comparing orienteering routes. You can draw your own route or upload a GPS track from your watch. It also allows you to watch an animated replay with a simulated mass start.
(4/4) Orienteering Introduction session. Learn and practice the basics of map reading and navigation. For absolute beginners to progressing intermediates. All ages welcome.
This event will also be part of World Orienteering Week - come along and join thousands of people round the world by taking part, in World Orienteering Week.
Near: Burnley Lat,Lng: 53.77804,-2.21736 OS Grid Ref: SD859312 Postcode: BB11 3RQ
Directions / Parking
Meet at the Stables Cafe beside Towneley Hall in Towneley Park.
Post code BB11 3RQ for Towneley Hall, but be aware that parking near the Hall is 80p per hour!
Alternative parking in the Riverside car park or Barwise car park (off Todmorden Rd) at £1.50 all day. Then a short walk to Stables Cafe.
Map / Terrain
Towneley Park has an extensive path network. The area is typical parkland with grassland, rough open ground and woodland.
Registration and Start times
9:30 first start till 12:00 noon last finish.
Linear and score courses will be available. Instruction will be provided.
Free to all.
Dogs may be exercised under control. Doggie etiquette please.
Cafe and toilets.
Be prepared with clothing appropriate for the day's weather.
This session will use trails suitable for wheel chair and mobility scooter access.
Contacts / Officials
For general information: