Red Trail eventMarl PitsTue 24 August, 2021
Training level event
Explanation of Event levels
- Training events are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport.
- Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Most clubs run some 'mini series' throughout the year as local mid week events.
- Regional events attract participants from around the local Region.
- National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away,
- Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships or the annual JK competition.
Pre Event Info
Track & Trail orienteering intro event.
Our Red Event will suit anyone from a regular trail/fell running background and equally, orienteers that run longer courses such as Brown or Black. If you'd like a run with route choice, but without the technical difficulty usually associated with long O-courses, this is for you.
The orienteering difficulty of the Red course is moderate. Your map will be double-sided with controls circles marked, typically on easily accessible larger features. The first side will be an orienteering map of the Marl Pits area, where the Start and Finish will be, and the second side will be an expanded OS map of the hills of the surrounding area.
You will visit some of the more scenic parts of the area and can expect all of the course to be very runnable on bridleways, paths or open fields. Please stick to the marked paths when outside the area of Marl Pits and respect the countryside as you would do usually.
The Yellow course will be exclusively on the Marl Pits orienteering map, though longer than a typical easy orienteering course of this standard.
PFO Members will be on hand to answer any queries you may have about the course or the map, to make sure that your run goes to plan!
Proceeds from this event will be donated to the Marl Pits Running Track Appeal.
Near: Rawtenstall Lat,Lng: 53.70299,-2.27386 OS Grid Ref: SD820229 Postcode: BB4 7SN
Directions / Parking
On hard standing at Marl Pits Leisure Centre.
Map / Terrain
The orienteering area is a combination of open land and woodland. Near the Start & Finish there are playing fields, but beyond this is a steep area of rough vegetation with water and landform features and a newly mapped area of woodland. The orienteering area gives way to fields and rough pasture crisscrossed by rights of way.
Registration and Start times
Starts from 6:00PM till 7:00PM. Late starters may like to carry a torch as sunset is 8:17PM.
|Navigating on both orienteering and OS maps.|
Trail running on rights of way with O controls.
|Long Yellow||3k to 4k||TBA||Navigating on the Marl Pits orienteering map and controls.|
Pre-entry only via SIEntries. Entries open 27th July.
Dibber hire £1.00 (If you do not own a dibber you will need to hire one.)
No dogs. This is sheep country.
BOF event code 79838
Contacts / Officials
Planner and organiser:
Kay Hawke PFO -
Judith Wood PFO -