(4/4) Orienteering for BeginnersTockholes WoodsFri 27 September, 2019
Training level event
Explanation of Event levels
- Training events are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport.
- Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Most clubs run some 'mini series' throughout the year as local mid week events.
- Regional events attract participants from around the local Region.
- National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away,
- Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships or the annual JK competition.
Is a web browser app for sharing and comparing orienteering routes. You can draw your own route or upload a GPS track from your watch. It also allows you to watch an animated replay with a simulated mass start.
Pre Event Info
Beginners and improvers navigation coaching.
(4/4) Orienteering Introduction session. Learn and practice the basics of map reading and navigation. For absolute beginners to progressing intermediates. All ages.
Near: Blackburn Lat,Lng: 53.68890,-2.50885 OS Grid Ref: SD664214 Postcode: BB3 0PA
Directions / Parking
Meet at Vaughn's Cafe / Visitor Centre at Tockholes Village, BB3 0PA.
Parking is free, but please use the roadside car parking area or the cafe car park to the rear of the pub car park.
Map / Terrain
Tockholes Woods has an extensive path network as well as some of the best technical woodland in the north-west. The area is about 90% open woodland, so very different from the parkland at the previous training sessions at Towneley Park.
Registration and Start times
Before 10:00AM first start, till 12:00 noon last finish.
Easy courses to start with. Instruction provided. Everyone welcome.
Tuition is free to all, but please make a contribution towards map provision.
Dogs may be exercised under control. Doggie etiquette please.
Cafe and toilets.
Be prepared with clothing appropriate for the day's weather.
Wheel chair and mobility scooter access is very limited, though possible with assistance. Please check with organisers whether special arrangements and assistance can be given.
Contacts / Officials
For general information: