Street-O series (1/5)WaterfootWed 11 August, 2021
Training level event
Explanation of Event levels
- Training events are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport.
- Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Most clubs run some 'mini series' throughout the year as local mid week events.
- Regional events attract participants from around the local Region.
- National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away,
- Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships or the annual JK competition.
Pre Event Info
Street-O Score for everyone.
This event is pre-entry only for Solo, Pairs or Trio teams. Entry is limited to 60 starts.
All participants must wear a hi-viz vest and should carry a torch when sunset is before 8:00 PM. (You may not need a torch to run but may need it to read the answers!).
Each single competitor or team will need a dibber (your own, or hired at £1 on entering), a watch, a pen/pencil/clipboard.
For age rules concerning junior participation, see 'Entry Details' below.
Covid security is the responsibility of the competitor, though we recommend that you continue to observe simple social distancing and other courtesies.
The latest British Orienteering Covid-19 guidance for participants and event organisers (dated 19/7/21) can be downloaded here. This advice may change before the date of the event.
Other safety procedures should be observed in Street-O events:
- Give way to members of the public and other competitors throughout your visit.
- There are numerous road crossings on the course, take care at all times.
- Run wide around corners.
- Wear hi-viz so that you can be seen.
- Move away from control sites as quickly as possible.
Near: Rossendale Lat,Lng: 53.69394,-2.24844 OS Grid Ref: SD835217 Postcode: BB4 7BJ
Directions / Parking
Parking and Starts at BRGS (Bacup & Rawtenstall Grammar School) at BB4 7BJ. What3Words ///suitcase.months.tutorial
Map / Terrain
Street-O competition is on local streets, main roads, parks, ginnels, semi-rural areas and footpaths.
The competition map is 1:10000, in simplified format.
Cobbled alleys, stairways and paths, some steep, may be slippery after rain.
Wear suitable studded shoes.
Registration and Start times
Starts from 6:00PM to 7:00PM at minute intervals. You can choose your 15 minute start block when you enter the event.
Start at Waterfoot, BB4 7BJ, near parking.
Each individual or team will be issued with one Dibber (if hired), one clue/answer sheet (both issued pre-Start) and one course map (issued at the Start).
Example maps and clue sheets of previous events will be available to view.
Scoring: Controls are numbered 10 to 64. The first digit multiplied by 10 is the score value. Thus there are 10 x 10 points controls, 10 x 20, 10 x 30 .... and 5 x 60. The higher the score value, the greater the distance and difficulty.
Penalties: The time limit is 60 minutes. Thereafter, 1 penalty point will be deducted for each 3 seconds you are late, equivalent to 20 points deducted per minute late.
Entry and dibber hire (£1.00) will be via SI Entries. Entries now open.
Entries close at midday the day before race day (i.e. Tuesday 10th August). No EOD.
An individual entry can be amended to a Pair or Trio if you want to add a buddy to run with, but this must be done on-line in advance via SIEntries. We cannot make changes at the event.
Rules concerning junior entries:
Age 15 and under must be accompanied by an adult (as a pair or trio).
Age 16 & 17 may run as a pair, or be accompanied by an adult (as a pair or trio).
Age 18+ may run as an individual.
If the event needs to be cancelled the PFO Event Cancellation Policy will apply.
Taking dogs on urban courses is not recommended due to the traffic hazard.
None. Closest toilets: from the west is Rawtenstall Tesco (BB4 6DT) and from the east is Morissons Bacup (OL13 0AR)
BOF event number 79833
Contacts / Officials
Series organiser, Kay Hawke PFO -
Planner: Emma Taylor PFO