Night & DayDarwen Moor Day RegionalSun 08 December, 2019
Regional level event
Explanation of Event levels
- Training events are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport.
- Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Most clubs run some 'mini series' throughout the year as local mid week events.
- Regional events attract participants from around the local Region.
- National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away,
- Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships or the annual JK competition.
Pre Event Info
Darwen Moor is a new area for orienteering.
Darwen Moor is managed moorland and a water catchment area. Past quarry activity has left its mark. It is high and exposed so dress accordingly.
Safety: This is a winter event - WHISTLES and WATERPROOF JACKETS are MANDATORY - unless specifically relaxed by the controller. Carrying hats, gloves, additional thermal layers and waterproof trousers may also be necessary. Be prepared.
The orienteering map is at a scale of 1:10000 for longer courses and 1:7500 for shorter courses. Fences should only be crossed at stiles and gates.
The previous night, Saturday 7th, there will be a NWNL Darwen Moor Night event over some of the same terrain. Night Orange, Green and Blue courses only.
Near: Blackburn Lat,Lng: 53.69056,-2.48780 OS Grid Ref: SD678215
Directions / Parking
Map / Terrain
Darwen Moor, most notably identified by Darwen Tower visible from the M65, is a wild area of upland vegetation. There has been historic quarrying, which has left behind many landform features.
Registration and Start times
Registration/Enquiries: From 10:00AM to 12:00AM.
Starts: From 10:30AM to 12:30PM. Open start times.
Courses Close: At 2:30PM.
|Brown:||8.5 to 12.0k||TBA||TD5|
|Blue:||5.5 to 7.5k||TBA||TD5|
|Short Blue:||4.5 to 6.5k||TBA||TD5|
|Green:||3.5 to 5.0k||TBA||TD5|
|Short Green:||3.0 to 4.0k||TBA||TD5|
|Light Green:||3.0 to 4.0k||TBA||TD4|
|Orange:||2.5 to 3.5k||TBA||TD3|
|Yellow:||2.o to 2.9k||TBA||TD2|
EOD only .
Adults (M/W21+) BOF members £9.00 (non-members £11.00)
Juniors (M/W20-) BOF members £4.00, (non-members £5.00)
Dibber hire £1.00, but £40.00 if lost!
No dogs on courses. This is sheep country.
BOF event number: 75747
Contacts / Officials
For general enquiries e-mail