Spring series (1/4)Whitaker ParkSat 29 January, 2022
Local level event
Explanation of Event levels
- Training events are non competitive events used for training and coaching, aimed at members of the club, but they can attract people from neighbouring clubs, and are often ideal for newcomers to try the sport.
- Local events are usually low key and in the 'localised' area, ideal for newcomers to try the sport. Most clubs run some 'mini series' throughout the year as local mid week events.
- Regional events attract participants from around the local Region.
- National events are high quality competitions that will attract people from far away,
- Major events are Major Events such as a British Championships or the annual JK competition.
Following British Orienteering advice concerning Covid/Omicron restrictions, this event is pre-entry and pre-pay only. See entry details below.
Other social distancing rules will apply:
- There will be NO Registration and NO entry on the day.
- Give way to members of the public and other competitors throughout your visit.
- You must proceed directly from Parking to the Start to arrive in time for your given start time.
- Move away from controls after punching.
- After Finishing, go directly to download. If there is a queue, keep 2m apart.
- Return to Parking and depart as soon as practicable.
Near: Rawtenstall Lat,Lng: OS Grid Ref: SD804230 Postcode: BB4 8RT
Directions / Parking
At The Hill at Ski Rossendale on Haslingden Old Road/Oakenhead BB4 8RR.
Parking at the ski slope is only available after 13:00 because of a ski race taking place in the morning. If you arrive before 13:00, please use on-street parking at your discretion, preferably downhill from the entrance gate where the road is wider. You can move your vehicle after 13:00.
What3Words parking entrance location reference is: ///soak.covers.doors
From the car park, walk back beside the access road, to the road entrance. Cross the main road here (crossing marshal) directly into the park gateway. Bear immediately left to the Start, which is less than 60m from the gate.
Map / Terrain
The competition terrain is a mix of classic open parkland, some surrounding woodland/bushes and a multitude of manmade features. The newly refurbished museum and activity centre are now open.
Registration and Start times
Registration: ALL entries must be made through SI-Entries.
For pairs entries (or small groups), it is only necessary to register one name, pay for one entry and hire one dibber.
Dibber hire: If you do not possess a dibber (SI-card) you must book and pay £1 when entering on-line.
Your hired dibber will be sanitised then placed in a sealed bag, for you to pick up at the download tent.
Starts: 13:30 to 14:30. (Start times will be extended if demand exceeds available slots.)
When entering, choose a 15 minute start block window from the drop-down menu. On the day, arrive at the Start during your window. Starts will be allocated by the Start marshal at one minute intervals.
Courses close: 16:00.
Yellow and Orange courses are ideal for beginners and progressing orienteers. Thr combined Technical/Light Green course offers sprint type quick thinking running and navigation.
TD = Technical difficulty:
Two part map
|Light Green / Technical||3.7k|
Two part map
In general, leg lines on the map have been drawn straight between controls, through any OOB features, in the manner of sprint maps. However, where leg lines would cross at or near a control, one of the leg lines is bent to avoid confusion.
There is NO entry on the day. Entries close at midnight on Wednesday 26th January via SIEntries.
Entry fees: Adult (M/W21+) £6.00
Junior £2.50 (M/W20-)
Dibber hire £1.00
No dogs on courses. They may be exercised responsibly in the area after your run.
Ninja Coffee operate the cafe at the foot of The Hill ski slope, immediately adjacent to parking. It is open till 5:00PM. Toilet facilities adjacent to the cafe. You are invited to relax and enjoy the facilities both before and after your run.
We ask you REFRAIN from using the cafe and toilets at the Whittaker Museum in the park until AFTER your run, as the museum is right in the middle of the competition area!
BOF event: 80497
Contacts / Officials
Planner: Mary Barton-Marshall PFO
Organiser: Stephen Horrocks PFO
Controller: Jim Mitchell PFO